As a Duke of Edinburgh centre Smith’s Wood Sports College runs Bronze, Silver and Gold awards throughout the year. We have a dedicated team of teachers who support students and run expeditions
Why do your Duke of Edinburgh?
The Duke of Edinburgh Award is a fantastic way to take part in an adventure and gain a nationally recognised qualification.
The Award is for students who thrive on challenges, no matter how big or small, and enjoy an adventure! It doesn’t matter how much experience you have or where you’re from, all you need is to be 14 or over and have determination.
You can do the awards at three levels:
- Bronze (aged 14+)
- Silver (aged 15+)
- Gold (aged 16+)
…which lead to a Duke of Edinburgh Award.
You achieve an Award by completing a personal programme of activities in four sections:
- Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community
- Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities
- Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests
- Expedition: planning, training for and completing an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad
- At Gold level, you must do an additional Residential section, which involves working and staying away from home doing a shared activity
Throughout all awards you can choose what activities you would like to participate in which means that the awards are your own personalised experiences and focused in what you are interested in.
|Level:||Minimum period of participation by:|
The Duke of Edinburgh Award is highly recognised by Universities, employers and further education centres. The Award demonstrates that you have a variety of skills and attributes which are highly sought after.